Friday, February 6, 2009

Inking & Coloring "cartoondavid"..

Hello!

Do you happen to know who "cartoondavid" is? If you've perused all of my Blog Links, then you would have already come across his artwork.. His name is: David Gemmill! A talented young cartoonist/animator, living in California..
I was first introduced to Dave's work, via his postings to 'The Drawing Board', many years ago.. But since then, his work has gotten exponentially better. And his popular Blog, has been a pretty regular pitstop for me, as I stumble my way thru the krazy InterNut-mo-sphere..

This is what some of his Drawings look like:

Mr. Gemmill's 'Funny Animal' creations, are amongst my very favorites.. I find them to be truly hi-larious! As I feel Dave has a very unique "take" on this normally staid & traditional genre. I'm always impressed by the way he's able to stylize his creatures.. A nice blend of lively/flowing linework, supporting fun Figure poses; which always feature an interesting set of contrasting shapes/volumes, to their overall proportions..

Unfortunately,-- very few examples of these critters have really been "nailed down" into finished Portfolio pieces. And the ones that are, have never been polished-up in a way that I (personally) feel suits them..
Not meant as a knock against Dave, by any means.. I just wish some of 'em had a lusher inkline around them. And were colored with more, than a purely "digital" Photoshop palette..
My guess would be that these ideas, simply don't interest David.. Or perhaps, that he just doesn't have the time to ink & color, every single one of them?

Either way, I wanted to take a stab at inking one of his Drawings, myself.. And though I've had this piece half-finished for many months.. I finally got 'round to getting the whole thing inked! Here' what it ended up looking like:
It may be important to note.. These 2 characters did not appear together, in Dave's sketches. I composited the pair together, because I thought it might make for a funny scenario.. Surmising the Poodle -type girl as a streetwalker.. With the little Fox/Wolf dude, as her pimp?! hah
To really sell the Staging, I needed to add some changes/edits to Dave's original work.. I hope that he doesn't feel like I overstepped any boundaries? Please lemme know Dave, if I have! I'll take the Post down, immediately..

As I'd taken it, this far.. I figgered what-the-hell,-- I might as well throw some color on them too..
Here's the final result:
I kinda like how everything turned out.. Though I think the Fox/Wolf guy's outfit, ended up making him appear more like a Vaudeville comedian, than a streetwise pimp.. I shoulda made the Poodle's tail the same shade of red/pink as her bouffant hairdo, too.. Oh, well.. Maybe next time.
'Til then, folks!

3 comments:

Suzanne Dargie said...

HEY! Her purple panties are showin'!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love your site. Would love for you to register and be a part our community.
Cagora
- Where Passions become Profitable

Jason Quinones said...

AMAZING STUFF!